St John’s Church Hall is located on the grounds of St John’s Church, at the corner of Parry St and Dawson St in Cooks Hill, NSW. The hall is one of the oldest buildings in Newcastle, completed in 1857. Over the course of the last 160 years, the Hall has been conserved and developed for church and community use through hall hire. The address for the hall is 107 Dawson St, Cooks Hill NSW 2300.
Today the church hall is available for hire. Recently it has been hired for wedding receptions, birthday parties, baptism receptions, and exercise groups. The hall seats up to approximately 100 people and has male, female and disabled toilets.
The hall has a modern kitchen, with ovens for heating food, stainless steel food preparation areas. The kitchen also has a large wall-mounted urn for hot drinks. Tables (approx 20) and chairs (approx 100) are available as part of the hall hire fee, but hirers will need to provide their own cutlery, crockery and tablecloths.
For hiring on Sunday, please be aware that the hall is used on Sunday mornings for refreshments after our church services, which means the hall is not available for hire until 12.30pm on Sundays.
Hall hire fees
The general hall hire fee is $50 per hour, in addition to a $25 public liability insurance fee per day of hire.
For longer bookings, we have a reducing fee structure. The first 8 hours are charged at $50/hour, the next 8 hours charged at $40/hour, and anything after that at $30/hour. A rate card is available here.
We send hirers an access code that allows entry to the building when the agreed time of hire starts, so please include time to setup for your event in your booking. Hire fees apply for the times that hirers need access to the building, including setup times.
Non-personal users and organisations are required to provide evidence of their Public Liability Insurance by a Certificate of Currency for at least $5,000,000.
Hall hire conditions
To protect the site and allow our hall’s resources to be shared, we need to make hirers aware of the following conditions:
- no vehicles may be driven on the church grounds, even for delivering supplies
- nothing is to be stuck on the walls of the church or hall, even with blu-tack or similar temporary adhesives
- there is one toilet in the church hall for mobility-impared persons. This toilet also has a change-table for changing nappies for infants. This table will need to be collapsed if needed by disabled users.
- there is a limitation on the amount of garbage that we can have placed in our church bins – one plastic garbage bag only. Other rubbish will need to be taken away by hirers
- events need to be finished by 11pm in the evening and the premises cleaned and vacated by 11.30pm.
- sadly, due to previous experiences, the hall is not avilable to be booked for 18th or 21st birthday party celebrations
- recent unfortunate events have required us to charge a hiring deposit of $100 per booking, fully refundable if the main conditions of hire are adhered to, namely:
– the hall is left undamaged and nothing is stuck to the walls during the hire,
– time limits of the hire are kept to including events finishing on time, and
– no vehicles are brought onto the church grounds
Wedding reception hall hire
St John’s Church Hall is the perfect location for your wedding reception. The hall was completed in 1858 and is one of the oldest buildings in Newcastle. It has been kept alive over the years by the members of St John’s Church and is now a beautiful usable space for a range of weddings. The large beams heading up to the ceiling and wooden parquetry floor give this building a beautiful feel, perfect for a rustic chic wedding, or with some distressed furniture, it would be perfect if you are planning a shabby-chic wedding reception.
The Church Hall is only available for wedding receptions when booked with a package from Hot Rock Events & Catering. Hot Rock have specially designed food menus and beverage packages for receptions, and can be contacted at www.hotrock.com.au or by telephone on (02) 49271218 or 0422 417 685.
You are welcome to have the hall decorated and if your wedding designer would like to view the hall with you at any time, then please contact us to make an appointment.
Please use the contact form to enquire about a hall hire booking for St John’s Hall.